Pages

Tuesday 8 November 2022

Writing A Wrong.

 Sometime in September or October of 1981 and just before my 21st birthday, I moved into my first 'flat' in this house. 



The 'flat' was actually two rooms, one occupied by a friend I'd met in Halls of Residence, who - by the way, found the room/s, with a makeshift 'connecting door', of sorts. 



In July 1982 William F Buckley Jr recorded an episode of Firing Line. in a church in Charleston, South Carolina. His guest on stage was Jesse Jackson.



My pal didn't like the flat so she moved out and someone else moved in, a nice gal I'd got chatting to from upstairs. Once her course was done, she went home. I hadn't minded the 'connecting' door that didn't shut properly, whilst I knew who was on the other side of that door, but strangers would be next, and so I asked the landlord for a new door.

Not being feasible (he couldn't be bothered) to fit a proper door with a lock, or at the very least, the functionality to actually close, I took one of the spare doors he had in his shed. And I painted it !


I painted bricks on my door. The inner artist in me was expressing something. Do you like my posters ? 

In 2016 I watched a film on Netflix about a new television company's coverage of the Democratic Convention in the United States in 1968, featuring Mr Buckley and Gore Vidal, called Best of Enemies. I was immediately drawn to Buckley, just as I had been drawn to someone else during a television program. That someone else being Jimmy Savile, in October 2012.

This post is a draft of a book I am writing, about the extraordinary gift I appear to have. Let me whet your appetite with the following hypothetical question :

Why was I - in the summer of 1982 painting the exact same design on an old door, that decorates a church in Charleston, South Carolina ? And not just any old church, but the historic Emanuel AME church at that !

Had I not watched that episode of Firing Line recorded in 1982, on a whim again, I think it was about midnight December 31st 2018 ( I need to check this), I would never have noticed what was behind Mr Buckley and Mr Jackson. My 'wall' !




And what does it all mean ?

I took myself off to Charleston, just as I took myself off to Leeds six years before. I'll tell you the whole story, shortly.

Happy Birthday to me !




Oops I almost forgot ! That poster I put up on my door/wall. Did you spot it ?


 






© Rabbitaway 




2 comments:

  1. Hmm, so I hope it was a happy birthday!

    I can't make out the poster - any hints?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misa, it's a rabbit, of course ! My future was sending me a message !

    ReplyDelete